Financial Aid Operations Specialist
Company: Virginia Commonwealth University
Posted on: November 20, 2023
The Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships in the Division of
Strategic Enrollment Management and Student Success is recruiting
for an Operations Specialist to support student enrollment,
retention, and success at VCU. Reporting to the Assistant Director
of Operations, the Operations Specialist performs activities
related to the effective operations of VCU financial aid
Financial Aid Operations - Award and Risk Management (65%):
- Complete verification review and processing steps, complete
professional judgment or dependency override review and related
steps , adjust awards based on changes in EFC.
- Troubleshoots inquiries with third-party verification
- Responds to counselor requests for pending items, award status,
suspended ISIRs, or other unmatched records.
- Completes related reports on a daily, weekly, or as-needed
- Keeps financial management system updated with accurate
document requirements on RRAAREQ to reflect current status after
- Communicates with students via email regarding document
deficiency or loan status.
- Reviews applications and request forms for completeness and
- Tracks incomplete forms and communicates with students and
staff to resolve issues.
- Assists with awarding of financial aid packages for the fall,
spring, and summer semesters.
- Originates federal Direct Loans, including PLUS loans.
- Certifies private alternative loans and communicates with
lenders to resolve issues.
- Corresponds with internal staff and external stakeholders and
lenders in a concise and professional manner.
- Handles sensitive and confidential information with
- Monitors accounts for over-awards or overlapping loan periods
and completes related outreach.
- Identifies students who can be offered a prorated loan for
final term of study.
- Ensures loans are correctly posted under the correct SAY code,
BBAY code, budget group, and packaging group.
- Remains current on collaborative dashboards for PLUS loan or
private loans and is actively transparent with updating the account
with a comment.
- Observes all financial aid policies, procedures, best
practices, and internal controls (ARMICS).
- Collaborates with spot-checking and testing in Banner during
new year setup. Culture of Care and Collaboration (10%):
- Listens to and anticipates staff and student needs.
- Responds to inquiries from colleagues in an accurate and timely
- Maintains a solutions-driven outlook to resolve an inquiry,
knowing that it impacts a student's enrollment, retention, and
- Liaisons with other departments or areas outside of Student
Financial Services as needed to service the financial aid
operational needs of the University. WorkFlow Management (15%):
- Independently plans, organizes, and prioritizes work to meet
- Informs supervisor when assigned reports are complete.
- Ensures accuracy and timely processing of all applications and
- Manages documents in the ImageNow workflow queue. Other Duties
- Serves on department committees (e.g. SAP, Professional
Judgment) and workgroups as necessary.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of federal, state, and
institutional regulations and policies. Supplements formal office
training by seeking information independently.
- Attends NASFAA, VASFAA, or ED trainings as assigned, in
addition to staff trainings.
- Processes special projects and reports including, but not
limited to: Secondary citizenship checks with DHS, Emergency relief
fund applications, Study abroad/consortium agreements, Co-op
processing, and Computer expense/budget adjustment requests.
- Provides support in other areas during peak season, such as
scholarship processing, application review, or loan processing to
meet the needs of the department.
- Prepares outgoing mailings as required.
- Other duties as required by Financial Aid and Scholarships
leadership. Minimum Hiring Standards:
- High school degree or GED.
- Strong organization and time management skills.
- Displays a strong attention to detail.
- Experience in a high volume, customer-oriented
- Self-motivated individual with the ability to excel within a
complex, high-volume operation with a high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to work cooperatively with a wide range of diverse
constituents and colleagues.
- Ability to communicate effectively, in writing and verbally,
with constituents of the University.
- Ability to understand the relationship between the Student
Financial Services unit.
- Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse
faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a
staff member at VCU. Preferred Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in-progress or completed.
- Experience with higher education financial aid business process
- Experience using student information systems such as Banner,
CPS, COD, NSLDS, ElmSelect software, and Perceptive Content.
- Demonstrated experience supporting office projects toward
successful and timely resolutions to drive student enrollment,
retention, and success.
Other Position Details: This position is ahybrid position with
remote options, up to 40% of the time.
Position Number: 555720
Position Title: Operations Specialist
Department: 1919 Financial Aid
Role Code: 35014 Senior Technician SS 1
Position Type: Non-exempt
ORP Eligible?: No
Open Date: 11/16/23
Close Date: 12/3/23
Keywords: Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond , Financial Aid Operations Specialist, Accounting, Auditing , Richmond, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!