Senior Director of Engineering
Company: Mission Lane
Posted on: April 9, 2021
Mission Lane LLC is a fintech company on a mission (no pun
intended) to provide access to fair and clear credit. What does
this mean exactly? We're glad you asked. Roughly one third of
Americans have experienced a significant event (or series of
events) in their lives that has damaged their credit, usually due
to circumstances beyond their control. As if it's not hard enough
to recover from a credit plunge, the only banks willing to take a
chance on less-than-prime candidates have historically been called
fee harvesters - and for a reason.
Enter Mission Lane. Our best-in-class products and services are
raising the bar on fair credit access. We offer credit cards with
clear pricing, no hidden fees, and a transparent path towards
success. Better yet - candidates don't need good credit to apply.
Our philosophy is simple: when our customers do well, we do well.
And we have only just begun.
Mission Laners are learners and here's what we know for certain:
good Karma is contagious, the business demand is growing and
Mission Lane is, too. Quickly. In response to our rapid growth, our
teams are scouting the country in search of skilled, top-tier
talent with diverse perspective and unstoppable energy.
Are you passionate about making a meaningful impact? Come join us.
Are you purpose-driven, performance-oriented, and principles-led?
You'll feel right at home here. Just like for our customers, our
teams create opportunities for employees to willingly learn,
stretch, and grow.
Think you've got what it takes to be a Laner? Read on for more
details about your new role.
Mission Lane's Engineering Department is looking for a Engineering
Director to join us in our brand new Scott's Addition headquarters
based in Richmond, Virginia. (Non-local candidates should be
willing to travel to our headquarters on occasion)
The Impact You'll Make In This Role
The Engineering Director will be a part of the Richmond, VA
Software Engineering team, working with the Mission Lane
Engineering Leadership to implement outstanding products for the
servicing team. They will design, execute, utilize and maintain
software engineering servicing applications, assign work to
software engineering team members, evaluate and manage their
performance, and support to recruit engineering personnel,
technical staffing and project teams formation.
So, what does a typical day look like for a Mission Lane
- Own and drive the strategic vision and roadmap for engineering
and technology focus areas, spearheading key initiatives and
driving cross-functional alignment and progress
- Lead cross-functional teams - in close partnership with Product
and Design - to create and build functionality that enhance our
products and services
- Recruit for and scale our engineering team with world class
talent by contributing to the sourcing, screening, and interviewing
of engineering candidates
- Be a direct manager of software engineers, architects, and
- Work with our business leaders and product teams to fulfill our
- Build relationships with our business leaders to understand
future needs and evaluate technology solutions (e.g. build vs.
- Introduce best practices to the team and encourage the adoption
of new ideas
- Work to define budget and track portfolio investments for
Define, track and analyze metrics and data to measure and improve
the health, capacity, skill level, engagement and productivity of
our engineering teams
- Lead the planning and delivery of complex technical
- Foster a culture of growth from within through mentorship
- Recommend, inform, and influence our technology decisions
- Implement effective data-driven engineering processes,
providing transparency and predictability
- Manage the effective operations of critical systems
- Promote Mission Lane and our team to the broader RVA and SF
What qualities do we look for in a Leader?
- 5+ years of proven leadership managing and growing a strong
Engineering team and senior level Engineering leaders
- Track record of leading productive engineering managers as well
as engineering teams, including hiring top talent and leveling-up
and training team members
- Strategic thinker with a track record of identifying innovative
and new solutions in a changing technical and market landscape
- Experience building, organizing, and leading engineering teams
from the ground up in a fast-paced start-up environment with a
focus on scale
- Passion for improving the lives of our customers
- Passion for delivering quality software, maintaining excellent
operations and level of service, and helping teams continuously
- Previous experience at a FinTech company helpful but not
- Experience hiring and developing top engineering talent
- Highly organized with demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks
and keep projects on schedule
- Strong past programming skills with empathy for needs of
- Passion for agile, test-driven development, continuous
integration, and automated testing
- Strong communication, influence and cross-functional
collaboration skills; able to create clarity and drive focus in
complex and dynamic contexts
At Mission Lane we strive to create a work environment that brings
out the best in everyone every day. Our company's competitive pay
and comprehensive benefits package are among the many ways we
contribute to the betterment of our employees-- personally and
Mission Lane is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to
diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants
will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex,
race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental
disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual
orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or
maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited
by applicable national, federal, state or local law.
Mission Lane is not currently sponsoring new applicant employment
authorization for this position. And please, no third party
Keywords: Mission Lane, Richmond , Senior Director of Engineering, Engineering , Richmond, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!