Senior Technology Manager - Database (Remote)
Posted on: October 19, 2020
8901 - Corp Office West Crk - 12800 Tuckahoe Creek Parkway,
Richmond, Virginia, 23238
CarMax, the way your career should be!
BRIEF POSITION SUMMARY:
The Senior Manager of Database Systems, will lead a team of
advanced and entry level Database Administrators, Engineers and SW
developers that are responsible for all aspects of operational,
design, engineering of the CarMax Database Systems. The Database
Systems Manager must maintain a detailed working knowledge of
Database technologies and standards.
The Senior Manager of Database will lead a team of associates by
setting performance standards and motivating associates to perform
quality work. The Senior Manager is responsible for identifying
high-performing talent, gaps in talent, and train and develops
associates to close the gaps. The Manager mentors and develops
future leaders in courageous leadership, associate development, and
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* Responsible for short-term project planning to meet long-term
goals. Works with Sr. IT leadership and other managers to meet
goals and provide business solutions. Establishes the scope of
projects, allocates the proper resources, and monitors the
progress. Provides status updates to senior management.
* Responsible for delegating short-term projects and monitoring the
performance of associates. Assists with removing roadblocks and
utilizing technical knowledge to assist associates with meeting
* Works with Sr. leaders to understand business plans and team
objectives. Researches best practices and executes short-terms
plans for solutions to meet objectives.
* Responsible for assessing talent, identifying gaps in talent, and
identifying high performers. Provides development guidance, creates
IDPs to close gaps in talent, and provides opportunities for
stretch roles to develop future leaders. Sets performance standards
and holds team members accountable to standards.
* Forecasts needed resources such as vendors, technologies,
consultants, staffing needs, and training for the team to
accomplish business objectives.
* Responsible for managing the selection, and contract negotiation
for vendors of any software packages or services that are
* Has financial responsibility for the team. Responsible for the
team's budget and evaluating ROI.
SPECIALTIES: (Specific skill/knowledge needed)
* Identify emerging Database technologies, assimilated and
integrated within the CarMax organization.
* Accomplishes information systems and organization mission by
completing related results as needed.
* Provide operational engineering and support leadership for
various versions of:
* Sybase Database Systems
* Microsoft SQL Server
* Microsoft Azure SQL Server
* Oracle Databases, Data Guard, RMAN and RAC (Real Application
* Adherence to high security standards and practices as it relates
to Databases Security by managing through least privileged access
* Provide complete database life cycle support
* Interface with other central organizations to improve and
implement database process, procedures and automation.
* Pro-active and reactive performance analysis, monitoring,
troubleshooting and resolution of the issues.
* Participate in regular database capacity planning related to
database growth and system utilization, trend analysis and
predicting future database resource requirements.
* Develop long-term Operational Resiliency database goals and
* Prepares for database expansion by studying plans and
requirements; advising senior technical management; coordinating
design and programming.
* Keeps senior technical management informed by preparing reports
on system performance and problems.
* Understanding of and strict adherence to regulatory, legal and
compliance issues for SOX and audit functions.
* Drives automation to provide faster, more consistent delivery of
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed
below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability
required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
* Guides team to reach solutions to complex problems. Mentors
associates to be great problem solvers
* Detailed orientated, able to analyze and research data and
reports; uses information to assist department with making
* Evaluates the impact and ramifications of decisions on the
department and organization
* Develops creative solutions to problems
* Ability to develop and promote other associates for the
* Able to summarize and or present complex problems and/or
technical information in a simplified manner
* Ability to prioritize and lead team to execute short-term
projects to meet long-term goals
* Ability to develop, execute and adjust a plan with a high degree
* Sees beyond the current processes and identifies process
* Must be willing to make recommendations and challenge upwards
when appropriate for the best interest of the department
* Ability to collaborate and build strong relationships throughout
* Promotes effective conflict resolution by listening to others
opinions and responding with a win-win solution
* Able to communicate to senior management, business partners, and
group/team with the appropriate information at each level
* Must keep team informed of goals, how they align with the
department's goals, and changes that impact the group/team
* Sets vision and strategy for the team. Adjust as needed based on
business needs and successfully leads them through transitions.
* Uses Agile methodologies to manage team. Develops metrics to
measure performance of the team.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
* 4 year IT degree or equivalent work experience, preferred
* 3+ years of experience leading projects in both agile and
waterfall methodologies, required
* 5 + years of Senior management experience
* DevOps experience, preferred
The work environment characteristics described here are
representative of those an associate encounters while performing
the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may
be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
While performing the duties of this job, the associate is inside a
central heat and air-conditioned office building. The noise level
in the work environment is moderate.
Upon an applicant's request, CarMax will consider reasonable
accommodation to complete the CarMax Job Application.
Keywords: Carmax, Richmond , Senior Technology Manager - Database (Remote), Executive , Richmond, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!