Associate Vice President, Academic Affairs
Company: Virginia Community College System
Posted on: May 16, 2022
Posting SummaryRole Title 12 month Administrative Faculty
Role Code 01126-SW
Pay Band 00
Working Title Associate Vice President, Academic Affairs
Position Number 283FA308
Agency J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College
Agency/Division J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College (Div)
Work Location Richmond (City) - 760
Hiring Range Salary range: $110,000 - $128,000. Salary commensurate
with the education and experience of the candidate.
Emergency/Essential Personnel No
EEO Category A-Officials/Administrators
Full Time or Part Time Full Time
Does this position have telework options? -Telework options are
subject to change based on business needs-
Does this position have a bilingual or multilingual skill
requirement or preference?
Work ScheduleAs needed to support the College.
Sensitive Position Yes
Job DescriptionReynolds is one of the largest community colleges in
Virginia and serves Virginia's capital city and five nearby
counties. Annually, our four campus sites serve approximately
13,000 credit students and provide training for 7,400 students
through the Community College Workforce Alliance. Reynolds is
committed to hiring and retaining a racially diverse, culturally
competent staff at all levels of the organization who reflect the
demographics of our students. We also believe in providing an
ongoing investment in our faculty and staff to deepen their skills
and competencies to serve the full range of our student
The Associate Vice President of Academic Affairs (AVPAA) provides
administrative leadership for key college-wide academic operations
and serves as the lead administrator at the Downtown Campus (DTC)
and the Kitchens at Reynolds. The AVPAA will work collaboratively
with the Vice President of Academic Affairs, Associate Vice
President of Assessment & Institutional Effectiveness, deans,
program heads, faculty and other administrative units to achieve
strategic objectives related to guided pathways, course scheduling,
academic operations, curriculum planning and development, academic
master planning, educational support services, faculty development,
and educational pathways and partnership. The AVPAA reports to the
Vice President of Academic Affairs (VPAA).
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:Guided Pathways and Course Scheduling
- Support the Vice President of Academic Affairs (VPAA) in
leading academic implementation of Guided Pathways, including but
not limited to supporting academic leadership and faculty in review
and restructuring of curriculum, connecting programming to labor
market outcomes; collaborating with other divisions in order market
and communicate pathways, and connecting programming to support
- Lead and facilitate planning and implementation of
re-envisioned course scheduling, including schedule development and
execution, technology implementation and assessment of scheduling
outcomes. Facilitate exploration of modifications to course
delivery including term lengths and modalities.
- Collaborate with the Associate Vice President of Assessment &
Institutional Effectiveness to assessment and improve
implementation of guided pathways and scheduling efforts.
- Provide oversight of staff supporting scheduling
- Provide administrative support and management of the curriculum
planning and development process; support the curriculum committee
and curriculum implementation team; maintain the Curriculum Manual
and academic sections of the college catalog.
- Serve as implementation lead for a variety of statewide
initiatives relating to academics, including, but not limited to
Transfer Virginia, G3 and direct enrollment.
- Provide oversight of faculty workload reporting for adjuncts
and all full-time faculty, including evaluation of reassigned time
- Provide leadership and oversight of faculty contracts and
- Collaborating with faculty committees to ensure high quality
faculty evaluation, reward, and recognition policies and
procedures. Support the VPAA and committee in efforts to
reinvigorate a meaningful reward and recognition process.
- Support planning and development of Reynolds Faculty Focus
- Oversee team developing an accurate and timely college catalog.
- Assist the VPAA with the review, development, implementation,
and enforcement of VCCS and college policies related to Academic
- Collaborate with academic divisions and student support
services to ensure effective academic support services, including
but not limited to tutoring services, Math Central+, and the
Writing Studio, and coordinated faculty advising.
- Provide oversight of the Dean of Online Learning and
Instructional Excellence and deliverables of the Center for
Excellence in Teaching and Learning.
- Collaborate with academic leadership, the Center for Excellence
in Teaching and Learning, as well as other divisions to ensure a
seamless and comprehensive faculty onboarding process.Educational
Pathways & Partnerships
- Lead college-wide transfer initiatives, including but not
limited to Transfer Virginia, development and maintenance of
transfer agreements, and pursuit of "3+1" agreements.
- Provide oversight and direction of the dual enrollment office.
- Serve as the primary point of contact in partnership with
Department of Juvenile Justice; ensure complete execution of
- Serve on local secondary advisory committees, as
- Serve as the Interim Chief Administrator of the Downtown Campus
- Provide direct academic support and guidance of the Downtown
Campus and The Kitchens at Reynolds, and collaborating closely with
student affairs and facilities management.
- Collaborate with community partners on special projects to
support regional engagement and community service.Administrative
- Directly supervise the Dean of Center for Excellence in
Teaching and Learning (CETL), Director of Dual Enrollment, and
Coordinator of Curriculum and Scheduling, and AVP Administrative
- Prepare annual budget requests and maintain fiscal
responsibility for all assigned budgets
- Supervise assigned employees
- Lead and support staff managing oversight of academic-related
procurements, as appropriate.
- Additional duties as assigned by VPAA
Special AssignmentsMay be required to perform other duties as
assigned. May be required to assist the agency or state government
generally in the event of an emergency declaration by the
- Master's degree in a related field is required.
- Considerable knowledge of higher education or community college
administration practices and principles; curriculum design and
instructional methods and technology; course development, workload
management and course scheduling; and personnel administration.
- Experienced and knowledgeable in implementation of guided
pathways and best practices in course scheduling.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and direct academic program
initiatives; and assess faculty qualifications and hiring
- Demonstrated ability to perform administrative functions of an
academic affairs office including strategic planning, student
enrollment reporting, student advising, monitoring instructional
technology and assessing needs; and developing and managing
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and develop
community relations to promote the academic offerings of the
- This is a position of special trust and requires the individual
hired to successfully undergo a criminal background check and the
completion of the Commonwealth's Statement of Economic
- Doctorate degree in higher education/community college
administration is preferred.
- Experience in college teaching, and college administration at
the community college level is strongly preferred.
Operation of a State Vehicle No
Supervises Employees Yes
Required TravelAs needed to VCCS/Reynolds events, and meetings.
Posting Detail InformationPosting Number FAC_581P
Recruitment Type Public
Number of Vacancies 1
Position End Date (if temporary)
Job Open Date 05/06/2022
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled Yes
Special Instructions to ApplicantsApplication reviews will begin
June 6, 2022. Applications will be accepted until the position is
For full consideration, the cover letter and curriculum
vitae/resume must be received with the online application. Official
transcripts will be required upon hire.
Background Check Statement DisclaimerThe selected candidate's offer
is contingent upon the successful completion of a criminal
background investigation, which may include: fingerprint checks,
local agency checks, employment verification, verification of
education, credit checks (relevant to employment). Additionally,
selected candidates may be required to complete the Commonwealth's
Statement of Economic Interest. For more information, please follow
this link: http://ethics.dls.virginia.gov/
EEO StatementThe Virginia Community College System, an EEO
employer, welcomes applications from people of all backgrounds and
recognizes the benefits of a diverse workforce. Therefore, the VCCS
is committed to providing a work environment free of discrimination
and harassment. Employment decisions are based on business needs,
job requirements and individual qualifications. We prohibit
discrimination and harassment on the basis of race, color,
religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, mental or
physical disabilities, political affiliation, veteran status,
gender identity, or other non-merit factors.
ADA StatementThe VCCS is an EOE and Affirmative Action Employer. In
compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Acts (ADA and
ADAAA), VCCS will provide, if requested, reasonable accommodation
to applicants in need of access to the application, interviewing
and selection processes.
E-Verify StatementVCCS uses E-Verify to check employee eligibility
to work in the United States. You will be required to complete an
I-9 form and provide documentation of your identity for employment
Keywords: Virginia Community College System, Richmond , Associate Vice President, Academic Affairs, Executive , Richmond, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!