Company: GAI Consultants Inc.
Location: Glen Allen
Posted on: September 18, 2023
DescriptionGAI Consultants, Inc. is seeking a Technical Manager
to fill the role of Distribution Line Engineering Group Manager.
This position will report to the Division Leader - Transmission and
Distribution Lines in our Power Delivery Engineering Business
Sector in GAI's Power Business Unit. The ideal candidate's duties
will consist of electric distribution line design, overall project
management, client interaction, proposal preparation, technical
guidance/training of staff, design reviews, scheduling, staffing,
invoicing, budget control, QA/QC enforcement, and business
development related to all aspects of electrical distribution
Project Management Responsibilities:
- Up to approximately 30% of job duties are dedicated to managing
assigned projects, including responsibility for delivering scope,
schedule, budget, quality, safety, and profitability.
- Directly manages projects with no limit to the number or value
of individual projects managed.
- Coordinates and develops proposed scope, schedule, and fee for
- Demonstrates mastery of fundamental project management skills
and use of PM advanced techniques and practices to increase
productivity, efficiency, and accuracy.
- Works closely with Project Controls/Accounting staff to monitor
and control project cost and billings to meet budget profit, to
analyze project performance data on an ongoing basis, and to
develop recovery plans as needed.
- Up to approximately 20% of job duties are dedicated to
technical work, including but not limited to engineering design,
drawing creation, development of bills of material, permit
development, and QA/QC.
- Implements effective engineering methods, provides technical
guidance, and acts as a resource for engineers and
- Performs complex tasks and will have some latitude for
determining appropriate processes to follow.
Business Development Responsibilities:
- Approximately 30% of job duties are dedicated to Business
Development, including developing relationships and obtaining new
work with existing clients, and presenting capabilities to
- Serves as primary client contact for projects managed and
actively wins new work from both new and existing clients by
building and maintaining customer relationships, monitoring future
work opportunities, communicating regularly, and attending client
- Expectation of developing 2 new clients and 1 new anchor client
within the first 12 months of the job.
- Up to 20% of job duties may be dedicated to, directly and
indirectly, supervising the distribution lines technical
- Supervises, develops, and manages career path of direct
reports, including performance and compensation reviews.
- Administers policies and procedures and evaluates results and
performance for direct reports.
- Trains, coaches, leads, and directs the work of designers,
engineers, task managers, PMs, supervisors, and managers.
- Develops, implements, maintains, and manages group processes,
including but not limited to, QMS and resource planning.
- Manages the productivity of the group, meeting the needs of
clients while also meeting GAI's performance and profitability
- A minimum of 8 years of related experience, or less experience
and an advanced degree, including at least 2 years of prior
supervisory and/or project management experience, is
- Communicates effectively with clients, management, peers, and
subordinates. Strong verbal and written communication and
organization skills are required.
- Serves as a subject matter expert with an in-depth
understanding of electric distribution line design and engineering
concepts and principles.
- Effective leadership skills are required.
- Demonstrates Project Management expertise in developing project
schedules, cost budgets, and understanding and analysis of the
- Demonstrates mastery of intermediate to advanced project
management financial concepts, including developing pricing, cost
budget monitoring, and calculating profit.
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding of software as needed to
perform the duties described here, including Microsoft Office Suite
applications and software, CAD programs, document management
systems, database software, HR Systems, internet software, and
reporting tools related to databases and client-specific
- Bachelors or better in Engineering or related field. Civil,
Electrical, and Mechanical preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those
that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
- The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, climb or
balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, taste, or smell.
- The employee must wear Personal Protective Equipment, including
a hard hat, safety glasses, hearing protection, gloves, FR Clothing
and Fall Protection etc.
- The work environment will include indoor and outdoor
- The employee may travel moderate distances through unimproved
terrain, utility rights-of-way, in remote areas, etc.
- The physical demands and work characteristics described here
represent those that an employee must meet to successfully perform
this job's essential functions.
- Travel to other offices/meet with clients/attend
At GAI, exceptional people have an exceptional place to work, grow,
lead, and achieve. Explore an array of opportunities in locations
across the U.S. and join accomplished colleagues in tackling
challenging projects for a range of markets. Enjoy comprehensive
benefits and feel good about being part of a collaborative team
that's committed to supporting the communities we serve. Join GAI
and distinguish yourself in a company poised for unlimited
GAI Consultants, Inc. is committed to diversity, equity, and
inclusion by fostering a workforce that represents different
communities, cultures, and viewpoints. We will continue to build
mutual trust and respect where employees are empowered to share
their diverse perspectives, experiences, and ideas.
Benefits of Working at GAI Include:
- Competitive salary -GAI is committed to paying market-based
- Comprehensive benefits package including medical, vision,
dental, company paid Long Term Disability, and Short-Term
Disability (benefits start within 30 days of hire)
- New paid Maternity/Paternity/Adoption program
- Generous Paid Time Off and 7 paid holidays
- 401k company match
- Tuition Reimbursement
EducationBachelors of Electrical Engineering (preferred)Bachelors
of Mechanical Engineering (preferred)Bachelors of Civil Engineering
(preferred)Bachelors of Engineering (required)
Experience8 years: A minimum of 8 years of related experience, or
less experience and an advanced degree, including at least 2 years
of prior supervisory and/or project management experience, is
Licenses & CertificationsProject Mgmt Prof (PMP)
(preferred)Driver's License (required)Professional Engineer
- Project Management (required)
- Computer (required)
- Problem Solving (required)
- Communications (required)
- Critical Thinking (required)
- Leadership (required)
- Teamwork (required)
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with
DisabilitiesThe contractor will not discharge or in any other
manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they
have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the
pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have
access to the compensation information of other employees or
applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot
disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals
who do not otherwise have access to compensation information,
unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or
charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding,
hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the
employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to
furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Keywords: GAI Consultants Inc., Richmond , Technical Manager, Executive , Glen Allen, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!