General Manager - Military Services Group
Company: American Water
Location: Bowling Green
Posted on: February 10, 2024
Share Our Purpose. Be Yourself. Feel Valued.
People are the heart of our business. As an American Water
employee, you will be offered a competitive salary and health
benefits package, along with opportunities to develop, grow, and
evolve your career. Our benefits packages focus on key areas such
as health & wellness, emotional & well-being, and savings for
current & future goals.
We are Beautifully Different. We strongly believe having diversity
across our company makes us more successful and helps us provide
essential services to our customers. We are stronger because we
embrace different ideas, viewpoints, experiences, and backgrounds.
American Water is the best choice for your next role! Click here
for more information on our inclusion, diversity, and equity
About American Water
American Water (NYSE: AWK) is the largest regulated water and
wastewater utility company in the United States. With a history
dating back to 1886, We Keep Life Flowing - by providing safe,
clean, reliable and affordable drinking water and wastewater
services to more than 14 million people across 14 regulated
jurisdictions and 18 military installations. American Water's 6,500
talented professionals leverage their significant expertise and the
company's national size and scale to achieve excellent outcomes for
the benefit of customers, employees, investors and other
As one of the fastest growing utilities in the U.S., American Water
expects to invest $30 to $34 billion in infrastructure repairs and
replacement, system resiliency and regulated acquisitions over the
next 10 years. The company has a long-standing history of executing
its core operations, aligned with sustainable best practices,
through its commitments to safety, affordability, customer service,
protecting the environment, an inclusive workforce and
American Water has been recognized on the 2023 Bloomberg
Gender-Equality Indexfor the fifth consecutive year, ranked 18th on
Barron's 100 Most Sustainable U.S. Companies 2023 List, earned the
U.S. Department of Homeland Security SAFETY Act designation and
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's WaterSense - Excellence
Award, among additional state, local and national recognitions.
For more information, visit amwater.com and join American Water on
LinkedIn , Facebook , Twitter and Instagram .
In September 2007, under the Department of Defense's Utility
Privatization Program, we were awarded ownership and a 50-year
contract for the operations and maintenance of the water
distribution and treatment system and the wastewater collection and
treatment system at Fort Walker, Virginia. We are looking for a
dynamic leader to join our team - apply now for immediate
The General Manager of Operations is primarily responsible for the
delivery of all operations and maintenance activities required
under the service agreement contract. Duties include planning,
organizing and directing activities with respect to the respective
contract operations, including water/wastewater treatment
facilities, distribution/collection systems and pump/lift stations,
etc. as may be required by contract. This position is responsible
for fostering cooperation between operations and the City
Departments and capital staff on new capital upgrades and repair &
- Responsible for the overall safe operation and maintenance
activities of the facilities associated with the project. Analyzes
and evaluates operation, maintenance, and support functions.
Initiates new or improved practices as necessary.
- Responsible for ensuring appropriate health and safety measures
are established and carried out in system operations, management
- Develops objectives to meet regulatory requirement efficiencies
and productivity via continuous quality improvement and strategic
planning. Organizes operations, maintenance, and support activities
to maximize efficient use of available staff, equipment and
materials. Directly or indirectly supervises all staff assigned to
- Accountable for achieving state, federal and local standards
for water regulatory requirements. Assures that all Human Resource,
OSHA, Department of Labor notifications are displayed for all
employees to view, checking periodically for compliance.
- Develops and oversees the annual O & M budget. Monitors and
controls costs according to the MR&R plan. Coordinates
activities and supports the implementation of Capital Projects.
Controls expenditures to meet or exceed budget expectations on an
- Responsible for delivery of key reports and periodic updates to
plans and manuals as defined in contract with the City. Interacts
with subordinates, supervisors, other agencies, and customer
representatives to facilitate smooth system functioning.
- Performs other related functions as assigned.
- Able to build and sustain a collaborative, high performance
team culture that encourages creativity, innovation, empowerment,
- Able to direct, coach, interact, mentor, and organize people to
accomplish goals consistent with the organization's objectives.
Ability to lead managers and supervisors.
- Able to lead a strategic approach to developing long range
Project goals and objectives, developing a plan to reach these
- Able to proactively introduce changes into the facility to
address emerging issues.
- Able to encourage the effective use of technology to improve
- Able to institutionalize the concepts of continuous quality
improvement activities, performance measures and benchmarking.
- Able to clearly articulate complex issues both verbally and in
writing to technical and non-technical people.
- Able to plan, schedule, prioritize, and coordinate work within
assigned work area.
- Able to respond to emergencies in a calm and levelheaded
- Able to establish effective working relationships with
employees, supervisors, customers, and the general public.
- Able to work in a team environment.
- Knowledge of water treatment processes and techniques, and
management of water treatment systems; with an emphasis groundwater
- Knowledge of water distribution techniques, and management of
water distribution systems.
- Knowledge of wastewater treatment and collection, and
management of wastewater treatment and collection systems; with an
emphasis on activated sludge.
- Knowledge of health and safety regulations.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a
degree in sanitary, chemical, civil, electrical, or mechanical
engineering, public or business administration or other equivalent
- Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for the
degree on a year for year basis.
- Over seven (7) years of increasingly responsible management
experience in utility, ground or surface water and/or wastewater
operations strongly including proven experience with financial
operations involving one or more sites.
- Experience with both non-union and union environments
Certifications & Licenses
- Must possess a valid state (of residence) driver's
- VA Class II Wastewater and Class IV water license is desired or
the ability to obtain one within 12 months.
- Local travel to various worksites only.
- Both office and field environment.
- Must be physically able to work indoor or outdoor work during
seasonal heat and cold, or other adverse weather conditions.
- In addition to American Water's pre-employment screenings, this
position requires the ability to pass a Department of Defense
background check for access to the military installation.
- Prioritizes & Role Models Safety
- Develops Talent
- Plans, Aligns, & Directs
- Drives Engagement
- Decision Quality
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing---
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity
(EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and
applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender,
gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion,
marital status, citizenship, or because they arean individual with
a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by
federal, state, and local laws.
Keywords: American Water, Richmond , General Manager - Military Services Group, Executive , Bowling Green, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!