Health Science Associate, Nephrology - Richmond, VA
Posted on: January 16, 2022
Job SummaryOtsuka America Pharmaceutical, Inc. has launched a
new customer engagement approach designed to better deliver on
patient, caregiver and HCP needs in an evolving healthcare
environment. The new model is built around where patients get their
care-locally, with the intent to better serve patients, caregivers,
and healthcare providers, delivering a higher quality experience
that ultimately is focused on improving patient care.The local
"ecosystem approach" creates a unified focus among account
management, medical, patient access and market access to engage
local healthcare systems and identify opportunities to improve the
patient experience. Through this matrix model, customers will now
experience more coordinated and seamless care with digital-enabled
support to help bridge care gaps. --The Health Science Associate
(HSA) will report directly to the respective Ecosystem Lead,
coordinating with cross-functional colleagues in Medical (Clinical
and Scientific Liaisons (CLS), and Patient Support (Patient
Education Liaisons (PELs)) under appropriate guardrails. This
individual will serve as the main point of contact/connection to
healthcare provider (HCP) customers and should have a wide breadth
of expertise, (e.g., able to address complex on-label information
based on approved content and training.Purpose In Otsuka's evolved
customer engagement model, the Health Science Associate (HSA) will
work with customers and colleagues to drive value through a variety
of in-person, virtual and digital tools to offer solutions and
expertise that will support enhanced patient outcomes.Job
Description1. Serve as the main point of contact/connection to
healthcare provider (HCP) customers to deeply understand their
specific needs and address their clinical and business goals and
challenges in support of improved patient outcomes,--and improved
quality of care.
- Conduct proactive outreach to HCPs on topics such as:--
- On-Label/Consistent-with-label Info: proactively share
information that is on or consistent with the label consistent with
approved materials, including confidently and skillfully handling
complex on-label information.
- Product access: local market payor coverage and co-pay, prior
authorization, formulary placement, specialty pharmacy, REMS, and
- Established guidance on patient care: example system protocols,
standard of care guidelines, discharge protocols, and published
expert opinions (or share menu of options and direct
- Share product knowledge, clinical understanding, and insight
into the patient experience to educate and enable HCPs to make
informed decisions about treatment choices and patient
- Appropriately connect providers in real time to on-demand CSSs
as questions arise.
- Develop and apply knowledge of customer and market landscape in
the territory to support favorable position Otsuka's products.
- Conduct business to the highest ethical and professional
standards, consistent with Otsuka guidelines and policies.--2.
Contribute to the development and execution of local and ecosystem
business plans and strategy to deliver upon the strategic vision
and local ecosystem priorities.
- Elevate opportunities and feedback to ecosystem lead, including
local market insights to inform setting of local strategy and
business goals; appropriately collaborate with ecosystem team to
adjust targeting and call point plans and action on insights
collected from customer-facing roles.
- Devise and implement customer specific selling strategies
within the ecosystem that evaluate and address the practitioners'
perspectives and the institution's philosophies within compliance
- Keep abreast of customer and healthcare industry trends.
Initiate development actions to constantly adapt and grow
capabilities to increase impact.
- Develop and apply therapeutic expertise to position the product
favorably within the ecosystem.
- Conduct research to validate target potential, assess
competitive landscape and customer needs.3. Build and maintain
long-term relationships with all key stakeholders to support the
achievement of wider business and commercial objectives.
- Strengthen and expand relationships with HCPs and key staff
members to enable a coordinated approach across the care continuum
in a complex stakeholder environment to enhance clinical practices
and patient experience.
- Be a customer solution provider and support HCPs and their
staff in identifying trends, understanding competitive conditions,
and sharing knowledge of therapeutic practices within the
- Engage customers through a variety of approved virtual or
digital tools and direct customers to other colleagues as needed
(e.g., CSL, PEL); close the loop on customer requests ensuring that
they have been met and ask for feedback on quality of
- Conduct complex issue resolution for customers by effectively
communicating with both customer and appropriate company
- Facilitate speaker programs; organize local provider groups for
discussions on experiences and outcomes with local/regional
- Bachelor's degree: Scientific or clinical degree.
- Previous cross-functional industry experience in commercial
life sciences (pharma or biotechnology) or related industry
engaging with key healthcare ecosystem players (e.g., payers,
health systems), is preferred
- 4 or more years' experience working in a sales role with HCPs,
ideally representing multiple products and working across a complex
healthcare system environment
- Clinical nurse or Advanced Practice Nurse (APN) experience
- The ability to work in an ambiguous environment undergoing
transformation is a strong plus
- Proven track record in coaching, training and/or mentoring
peers or others as assigned; helping such others to better meet or
exceed their goals, targets, and other responsibilities
- Proven track record for consistently meeting or exceeding
financial and/or other quantitative targets, as well as qualitative
- Self-starter: ability to seek out relevant information,
prioritize, and apply information to solve complex problems in the
- Ability to assimilate and communicate complex clinical and
- Knowledge of and ability to successfully addressing operational
issues in the delivery of healthcare products to patients, such as
reimbursement and supply
- Understanding of industry legal, regulatory and compliance
landscapeCome discover more about Otsuka and our benefit
offerings;--.Disclaimer:----This job description is intended to
describe the general nature and level of the work being performed
by the people assigned to this position. It is not intended to
include every job duty and responsibility specific to the position.
Otsuka reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to
meet business and organizational needs as necessary.Otsuka is an
equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged
to apply and will receive consideration for employment without
regard to their protected veteran or disabled status, or any
protected status.Statement Regarding Job Recruiting Fraud ScamsJob
postings, job offers, or introductions to enter into a business
relationship with Otsuka through a third-party vendor may be
unauthorized. Avoid being the subject of a scam by dealing only
directly with Otsuka through its official Otsuka Career website
https://vhr-otsuka.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/External . Any
authorized third-party vendor job boards should redirect any
inquiry to this Otsuka Career website.
Keywords: Otsuka, Richmond , Health Science Associate, Nephrology - Richmond, VA, Healthcare , Richmond, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!