Physician Assistant / Surgery
Company: Bon Secours Mercy Health
Posted on: March 20, 2023
Profession: Physician Assistant
Loan Repayment: Not Specified
Salary Range: Not Specified
Employment Type: Not Specified
Bonuses Offered: None
St. Francis Medical Center
General Surgery PA
Available: Spring 2023
This is a unique opportunity where the PA would be responsible for the strategic planning, education, execution and evaluation of evidence-based strategies to achieve measurable results in the perioperative environment within an Enhanced Recovery After Surgery (ERAS) framework. Provides pre-operative, peri-operative and post-operative clinical management to General Surgery patients and patients within the Enhanced Recovery after Surgery (ERAS) program to the full extent of advanced practice authority as allowed by the organization and in collaboration with other team members.
1. Provides direct patient care for general surgery/ERAS patients through individual patient assessment, management and coordination of care in routine and emergent situations to include thorough daily documentation of patient assessment, problems and medical management plan (to include medications and therapies as appropriate).
2. Daily morning rounds for general surgery/ERAS patients, with physician when possible, to review and problem solve patient progress according to clinical pathway and best practice.
3. Coordinate patient care by acting as a liaison between consulting physicians, nurses, and other ancillary services. Independently order services as needed and ensures appropriate follow up to all testing and work-up in a timely manner.
4. Coordinate discharge planning including collaborating with care managers, writing prescriptions, medication reconciliation, discharge instructions, providing discharge summaries as needed, arranging home health and other services as indicated by patient need, and discussing short-term plans daily with patient/family. Meets with patient/family to determine barriers to discharge and set expectations for hospital stay.
5. Identifies and manages acute illness from admission through discharge in collaboration with the attending physician.
6. May perform complete preoperative evaluations for inpatients scheduled for surgery including assessment/interpretation of lab work and other studies, placing preoperative orders, completing histories and physicals.
7. Provides health education to patients about ways to improve, promote, and maintain their health status, including, but not limited to providing educational information on disease/disease processes, self-care practices, and positive lifestyle choices (i.e., diabetes, safe sex, weight loss, smoking cessation, etc.).
8. Serve as a clinical expert to nurses and other ancillary service providers.
9. Participates with other senior executive, clinical, and physician leaders for the General Surgery and the ERAS program to establish programmatic plans and objectives, identify strategic needs, and prioritize areas of focus for expansion. Develops and leverages internal and external partnerships and networks to maximize the achievement of Bon Secours Mercy Health System goals.
10. Advises teams and applicable service/department management as to appropriate identification of, response to and monitoring of measures of success for performance improvement. Leverages data to analyze and identify patterns that drive the General Surgery outcomes and ERAS care delivery model.
11. Provides leadership as liaison between nursing, surgery, anesthesia, pharmacy, information technology, informatics, ancillary support services and administration to support General Surgery patient care, ERAS implementation efforts, and drive interdisciplinary process improvement while fostering accountability. Ensures development and delivery of consistent internal and external communications regarding program efforts, best practice identification, and outcomes reporting
12. Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served on his or her assigned unit.
13. Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development of the life span and possesses the ability to assess data reflective of the patient's status and interprets the appropriate information needed to identify each patient's requirements relative to his or her age, specific needs and to provide the care needed as described in departmental policies and procedures.
Mentoring, training, coaching, effective communication skills. Group facilitation and problem solving ability.
14. Shows critical thinking and analytical capabilities, translation of quantitative and qualitative data into actionable plans for interdisciplinary team members. Ability to use advanced research methodology, particularly data collection, analysis, and interpretation. Ability to work in partnership with others across the organization and thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced perioperative environment. Adept at managing through ambiguity and practicing judgment to drive clarity. Communicator who can engage at all levels of the organization providing an accurate understanding of ERAS initiatives to drive engagement.
15. Ability to mentor, train, coach with effective communication skills. Group facilitation and problem solving ability.
16 This document is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, or working conditions associated with the job. Employees may be required to perform other job related duties as required by their supervisor, subject to reasonable accommodation.
If this sounds like it would be a good fit for you, please apply today!
Keywords: Bon Secours Mercy Health, Richmond , Physician Assistant / Surgery, Healthcare , Midlothian, Virginia
here to apply!