Sr. R&D Engineer - Physical & Engineering Science
Company: NewMarket Corporation
Posted on: June 12, 2021
Afton Chemical Corporation is part of the NewMarket Corporation
(NYSE: NEU) family of companies, and is one of the largest global
suppliers of lubricant additives and offers a broad line of fuel
Support the Physical & Engineering Science team in Technology
Development by using engineering knowledge and fundamentals of
petroleum additive performance to guide product development in
addition to developing fundamental mechanisms for performance. This
individual will be responsible for interfacing with the product
groups through fundamental engineering systems evaluation and how
they affect performance of Afton's products.
- Monitors developments in internal and external technologies and
related business opportunities and recommends new R&D
initiatives/directions to management.
- Drives leveraging opportunities with external
- Leverages engineering knowledge and tools to meet established
project objectives. Effective use and leadership of the Afton
Product Development Process. Designs approach, test plans, and
milestones to project completion.
- Evaluates and interprets data, performance, and deliverables.
Provides recommendations to R&D and project leaders regarding
results, deliverables, progress and challenges. Identifies and
eliminates hurdles to successful project completion. Conducts
special projects as assigned.
- Participates in technical and/or project reviews and presents
findings as appropriates. Engages with assigned teams and
cross-functional stakeholders, such as business, process,
marketing, etc. Assists in determining future direction.
- Complete complex bench and rig testing plans, in-depth
engineering analysis and interpretation and provide a detailed and
accurate test report to the customer in a timely manner. Evaluate
all test/project data to ensure accuracy, completeness and
reasonability of conclusions.
- Complete collation of data, final interpretation and written
test reports. Consult with the customer as necessary to review and
explain results, offer insight and analytical perspective and
ensure that project goals are being met.
- Lead or direct special research projects independently. Oversee
technical activities and/or supervise technical team members
assigned to the project.
- Understand, comply, and promote safe laboratory and work
practices, including appropriate safety regulations and
- Represent Afton in technical conferences, societies and other
industry activities. Maintain adequate level of technical expertise
and self-development through study, seminars, etc. Stay informed of
advanced developments inside and outside of Afton.
- Participate in IP activities as required, including competitor
reviews, freedom to practice assessments, patent filings, invention
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE MINIMUMS:
- MS in Mechanical or Chemical Engineering, or related field with
a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in design, R&D and
- Strong fundamental understanding of engineering systems.
- Ability to creatively apply appropriate engineering tools and
expertise to new problems.
- Programming language experience (Matlab, Visual Basic, C++,
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple priorities and
- Excellent administrative and organizational competencies.
- Excellent analytical and communication skills.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE PREFERRED:
- PhD in Mechanical or Chemical Engineering
- Experience in advanced engineering simulation tools such as GT
Suite, ANSYS, etc.
- Strong fundamental understanding of tribology
- Decision Making - Decision making in a timely manner based upon
a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment; sometimes
with incomplete information, under tight deadlines and pressure;
while based upon appropriate risk and authority
- Business Insight - The understanding of the basis for our
business model and how that is realized in the market. The
understanding of how business and operations are intimately linked.
The ability to use information, practices & trends, affecting the
business to engage and drive new strategies and tactics work in the
- Analysis and Problem Solving - Solves difficult problems with
effective solutions; asks good questions and questions all likely
sources for answers; can solve complex problems and recognize
complex patterns; utilizing all appropriate tools to reach a robust
- Communication - The ability to communicate information clearly
and effectively in an engaging and convincing manner.
- Managing Performance - Possessing the drive and focus to
achieve challenging goals.
- Collaboration and Networking - The ability to work in and
across Afton's organizational matrix to achieve business
objectives, via engaging interactions and influencing without
- Project Management - The ability to manage tasks and activities
and achieve their completion within the agreed framework, across
regional and organizational boundaries
- Innovation - The openness to new ideas and the ability to
generate breakthrough solutions. Can develop, seek out, critically
assess and implement new and value adding concepts.
- Dealing with Uncertainty - Can effectively cope with change;
can shift gears comfortably; can decide and act without having the
total picture; isn't upset when things are up in the air; doesn't
have to finish things before moving on; can comfortably handle risk
- Demonstrates acceptable statistical applications to assigned
- Consistent demonstration of safe lab practices and
Working at Afton
Who We Are - We're a diverse, global family of individuals, who
share a passion for developing innovative solutions. We build our
professional relationships on respect, integrity and a commitment
to safety and quality. Just as these values apply to our
professional relationships, they also apply to the way feel about
our neighbors and communities.
Our Work - At Afton, our innovative R&D programs lead to
global growth. Our lubricant and fuel additives are among the most
highly developed and widely used in the petroleum industry. Afton
is a recognized and trusted supplier of driveline lubricant
additives, engine oil additives, fuel additives and industrial
Benefits / Compensation - We offer competitive compensation and
benefit packages that reflect our commitment to our employees. Our
employees are our most treasured asset and we have dedicated
resources that allow us to reward our employees for their
commitment on an ongoing basis - ensuring our compensation packages
are competitive in the industry.
An Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to the individual's race, color, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, age,
disability, genetic information, status as a military veteran or
any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Keywords: NewMarket Corporation, Richmond , Sr. R&D Engineer - Physical & Engineering Science, Other , Richmond, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!