Research Administrator, Center for Public Policy
Company: Virginia Commonwealth University
Posted on: May 28, 2023
The L. Douglas Wilder School of Government and Public Affairs invites applications for a Research Administrator in the Center for Public Policy (CPP) in the L. Douglas Wilder School of Government and Public Affairs. The CPP examines public issues and social problems through applied research and evaluation techniques to broaden and improve public discourse and decision making. The CPP serves the research and evaluation needs of federal, state, and local government, universities, and organizations in the non-profit and private sectors by providing a diverse range of research activities including polls, specialized survey research projects, evaluation studies, and community-based capacity development programs. The CPP also provides data management services, including set up and design of long-term data collection systems, technical expertise in multi-site data collection, and training for data collection entities.
The Research Administrator assists with a variety of project functions and tasks to help deliver successful project outcomes. Other responsibilities include: overseeing activities on program evaluation projects, web-based, and mail surveys on a daily basis; creation of materials to be used on research projects; facilitating focus groups and in person interviews; analyzing qualitative and quantitative data; writing research reports from data; preparing and presenting findings; documenting project activities, performing quality control and project coordination functions to ensure successful project outcomes, and monitoring production to ensure deadlines are met. The Research Administrator position may also perform functions on complex web-based and mail survey projects to include: Literature search on topical or methodological issues, documentation of final instrument, cleaning and preparing data and documentation for transfer to clients, performing data analyses as assigned, preparing and participating in project briefings and training sessions, providing support when the CPP responds to requests for proposals. The Research Administrator may work on multiple, diverse, research projects in coordination with the overall goals and objectives of the CPP.
The employee understands that the continuation of this position beyond year one depends on the availability of grant funding.
The Wilder School's mission is to:
--- Engage, teach and inspire students and leaders to understand and solve challenges in our world.
--- Advance research that informs public policy and decision-making to improve our communities.
--- Collaborate with communities through innovative partnerships to enhance the quality of life.
The Wilder School's vision is to be the premier resource for public policy expertise and social equity in public safety, governance, and economic and community development. The 2022 U.S. News and World Report rankings confirm the Wilder School among the top 15% of graduate schools of public affairs at No. 38 and tied for No.1 in Virginia. The School is also ranked No. 19 in Social Policy, No. 28 in Urban Policy, and No. 34 in Public Management and Leadership. The Wilder School has over 1,500 students and more than 11,000 alumni, with an established environment where diverse perspectives thrive and where a common interest in public service and the betterment of society unites these perspectives together. Our academic excellence attracts the highest quality faculty, staff, and students, and our graduates are leaders in their professions.
Our location in Richmond, the capital of the Commonwealth of Virginia, combined with our proximity to Washington, DC, provides numerous opportunities for engaged scholarship, teaching and community engagement activities. A creative, interdisciplinary School with both academic programs and training/research centers in the social sciences and professional arenas, we reflect the diversity of the communities we serve, providing students and faculty with the knowledge, skills, opportunities, and experience necessary for success.
For additional information about the Wilder School, please visit our website at https://wilder.vcu.edu/.
- Perform project direction/management for multiple, diverse research projects.
- Engage with clients and potential clients in conjunction with principal investigators to assist with the design and execution of survey and evaluation research projects.
- Work with CPP principal investigators to design research projects and assist with creating project budgets.
- Training and mentoring support staff in matters of research administration as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Hiring Standards:
- Bachelor's degree or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Demonstrated ability to present strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of various social science research methodologies including sampling, research design, data collection, data management, and writing technical research reports or experience in an academic survey center.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently.
- Multi-tasking capabilities in a fast paced, non-hierarchical atmosphere and meeting direct time constraints.
- Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff and student environment or commitment to do so at VCU.
Preferred Hiring Standards:
- Master's degree in social science or related field.
- A minimum of 5 years experience in a university-based survey and/or evaluation research unit.
- Experience with MS Office including database design in MS Access.
- Experience with IBM SPSS.
- Experience with the REDCap web-based survey package.
- Direct work experience with various social science research methodologies, including sampling, research design, survey design, data collection, data management, and writing technical research reports.
Typical Physical and Cognitive Requirements:
Physical Demands and Activities (Essential):
Light lifting (University Benefits:
All full-time university staff are eligible for our generous benefits package that includes choices for health, vision, and dental coverage, life-insurance, retirement planning, flexible spending accounts, and more. Explore our benefits further at: https://hr.vcu.edu/current-employees/benefits/a-z-list-of-benefits/health-benefits.
All applications should include a cover letter and a detailed resume with the names and contact information of three professional references.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
"Virginia Commonwealth University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action university providing access to education and employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, political affiliation, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or disability".
Salary Range: $50,000 - $60,000
Department: Center for Public Policy, L. Douglas Wilder School of Government and Public Affairs
Employment Type: UF - University Employee FT
Restricted Status: Yes
Exemption Status: Exempt
University Job Title/Family: Research Administrator 1 (32911)
Contact Name: Cydney Lowenstein
Contact Email: email@example.com
Contact Phone: 804-827-2643
Keywords: Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond , Research Administrator, Center for Public Policy, Other , Richmond, Virginia
here to apply!